One of the questions I recently received is:
“I used my Facebook personal profile to represent my business. How can I convert this to a Facebook business page?”
After doing some research, I found out that Facebook does allow personal user profiles to be converted into official business Pages, turning all their friends into fans.
When you convert your profile to a Facebook Page, Facebook will only transfer your profile pictures and add all of your friends as people who “like” your page.
No other content will be carried over to your new Facebook business page.
To avoid losing important content such as:
- Your profile information (i.e. your contact information, interests, groups)
- Wall posts and content that you and your friends have posted to your profile
- Photos and videos that you have uploaded to your account
- Your friend list
- Notes you have created
- Events to which you have RSVP’d
- Your sent and received messages
- Any comments that you and your friends have made on your Wall posts, photos, and other profile content
To convert your Facebook personal profile into a business page, you should take the following steps:
- Appoint a new group admin or a new Facebook Page admin to any groups or pages that you manage. The account you’re converting will lose these admin rights during the conversion process.
- To download your profile information, go to your Facebook personal profile.
- Open the Account dropdown menu at the top right corner of Facebook and choose Account Settings.
- Scroll down to Download Your Information and click learn more.
- Click the Download button on the following page. (Because this download contains your profile information, you should keep it secure and take precautions when storing, sending or uploading it to any other services.)
- Once you click “Download”, the button will change to read “Pending” and users are informed that they will receive a download link via email. For users with a lot of content, the wait can be several hours. Users will eventually receive a “Your download is ready” email from Facebook containing a link back to the Download Your Information page. Users are prompted to re-enter their password and possibly complete other security tests before being allowed to initiate the download of the zip file, which comes from a “bigzipfiles.facebook.com” URL.
- After changing your administrator(s) and downloading your account information, you are ready to convert your personal profile to a business page.
- Use the Facebook Migration tool to convert your profile to a Page. Click here to begin.
- After the conversion, log into Facebook using your original email address and password.